21 February 2010

Cindy Sherman - photography

when ever i think of this idea of being someone else it reminds me of Cindy Shermans work. In her work, they are all self portraits of herself, however it's not how all is seen, she dresses up as almost different characters, different personas. She doesnt view her images as self portraits, even if they are all of her, 
she states: "I feel I'm anonymous in my work. When I look at the pictures, I never see myself; they aren't self-portraits. Sometimes I disappear." 
















Her images are often wide in the subjects she becomes, but some of her more famous shots are from her Untitled Film Stills where she plays different kinds of actresses playing parts, if that makes any sence. In most of the photos she becomes unrecogniseable, she really doesnt look like the same person. 

 The idea of being able to look at a photo of yourself and not bein able to see yourself in it, it really hits to the feeling im trying to get across. some people who have depression or self harm can look into the mirror and not see themselves, it isnt who they think they are. Its like they are an empty shell. How they feel, they put on a brave face and hide whats really happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment