20 November 2009

Days of the dead

I found a good link to a collection of photos an american paper put together between halloween and the days of the dead. some of the photos i really like, but i also like how its a mix of cultures all surrounding the dead.  I like how none of the images are morbid in anyway and theyre all bright and colourful. it just reminded me of this project.
The link is below:

Days of the dead

Some of my fave photos from this link:

I like the use of light and colour in this. while there is no symbolism of death in it, as an image its very powerful. I like the use of silhouette and how it contrasts the colour with a block of black, and how the focus of the jars go from distingishable to just small dotted blurs the further from the camera you go.




This image is another that i really like, The gashia is a symbol of beauty and elegance, and here we see them mutilated and cut up, its a bitter sweet contradiction. i also like how the subject isnt the closest to the camera and the depth of focus is different. 

this image was taken at the halloween celebrations at the white house, and really reminds me of the 'remains of the day' video from the corpse bride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment