18 January 2010

Frozen Heart - Film

I managed to get ahold of lambs hearts so i am able to do this idea, however i will want to experiment to makesure i get it right. I got software that allows me to plug my camera into my laptop and shoot using controls on my camera, this program also uses my d40 to take time lapse photos at regular intervals.
The big freeze!
First i wanted to see how the professionals do it:
Quite different from what thought i found that , after organs are removed from a donor, they are packed in a special solution and kept on ice. But they can't be frozen because of the damage that ice crystals would do to the cells. Without freezing, the shelf life of these organs can be  as little as four hours for a heart. Parts of the heart such as valves have been said to be frozen in liquid nitrogen.
This is only of organ donation. but the fact that butchers freeze the organs the same way they do the flesh, it really doesnt help my research.

To start off though i decided to Freeze a set of keys to see how they would freeze. This worked kinda well. The ice block came out well, i filled a tupper wear box half way and then froze that, to allow the keys to be central in the iceblock, however the thickness and the unpurity of the water caused it to be cloudy which isnt the effect that i wanted.
I desided to try it again and this time i reserched online to which i found a text on achieveing clear icecubes, which said the water should be boiled, left to cool, reboiled, cooled, reboiled and filtered to get the most clarity in the ice. Which i tried. This did help the clarity of the water. So i decided to set up a mini 'studio.'
I did experiment with the lighting for the ice, however i lost the photos on my old laptop that was stolen. However i did decide to backlight the ice.
So using a chair and a lamp, i created a backlit scene with a white sheet, and set up the camera and the laptop. I set it up to take photos at 5min intervals. 
i did encounter a few problems when shooting them, first of, i set it to autofocus before shooting but as the ice begun to melt the area it was focusing on melted so it couldnt autofocus properly, so for the main one i shall focus it and then let it melt with out the focus changing.
the other problem was that the battery run out half way through, so next time i will actually sit with it, and replace the battery with my spare when it runs out so that it will continue to shoot.  Practice shots before the battery run out: Just a few 





































 Also my friend said to me that using a muscle toner it would be maybe possible to make the heart appear to beat again? maybe i could look into this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment