18 January 2010

Inspiration from the book

There are a few really stand out points in this book.

The visuals of Cristy. C. Roads (post 2)  who used her illistrations to help put across what she was feeling. I loved the sketch she drew of someone sewing together herown heart. its just very symbolic. Not only is the heart often used to symbolise emotions, love, hate but it also represents the life force. This is the sort of symbolism i wish to use in my video work.

The piece of text that Inga M.Muscio uses at the beguinning of her passage.

'I hurt myself today
To see if i still feel
I focus on the pain
The only thing that's real' 


Trent Reznor via Johny Cash
This text is extreamly fitting to me looking into self harming and matches up with alot of what i have read about it. This text is hard hitting and straight to the point. People who have a self destructive personality often talks about feeling numb and not being able to feel anything until they get this release. which somehow i want to try and portray in my work also. Maybe symbolically in my work. 

I also really loved the 'wellfair' diagram that cella star Bonfire talked about and presented in the book. it shows some insight into the feelings that trigger off her feelings. 

Finally i cant talk about inspiration without talking about nan Goldin. Her short but informative insight and some of her work in the book makes me want to look more into her work which i think i will do next. 


No comments:

Post a Comment